• balance questions guy

    What is Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit?           
    The CBC Dual Enrollment program provides high school students the opportunity to enroll in college-credit courses. The CBC dual enrollment courses are offered at a reduced rate of tuition (almost 1/2 of non-dual student tuition & for Bee county residents tuition & general use fees are waived). Students gain the necessary skills needed to be successful in post-secondary education while in high school. Sometimes Dual Enrollment is referred to as "dual credit" or "concurrent enrollment/credit". 

    According to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), dual credit is a process through which a student may earn high school credit for successfully completing a college course that provides advanced academic instruction beyond, or in greater depth than, the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for a corresponding high school course. The “dual credit” earned is college credit and high school credit for one course.
    Can high school credit be awarded for any college course?         

    No. It is the responsibility of the institutions entering into a dual credit partnership to ensure the following requirements are met: (a) Courses offered for dual credit by public two-year associate degree granting institutions must be identified as college-level academic courses in the current edition of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s Lower Division Academic Course Guide Manual (ACGM); college-level technical education courses in the current edition of the board’s Workforce Education Course Manual (WECM). (b) Courses offered for dual credit by public universities must be in the approved undergraduate course inventory of the university. Public colleges may not offer remedial or developmental courses for dual credit. (c) Courses offered for dual credit must provide advanced academic instruction that allows for mastery of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for the appropriate high school course and that goes beyond or into greater depth than those TEKS.    

    How many college courses can I enroll in as a high school student?       
    Under HB 505 effective beginning with the 2015‐2016 school year, the THECB may not make any rules which limit the number of dual enrollment courses or hours in which a student may enroll while in high school or limit the number of dual credit courses or hours in which a student may enroll each semester or academic year. We REQUIRE students to seek guidance from their HS counselor and DE Specialist when determining their college schedule.      
    What modes of delivery in which Dual Enrollment course taught?           
    All CBC locations, high school campuses, video-conferencing, and online with Blackboard        
    How do I drop a course?         
    If a student wishes to withdraw from a course they should first discuss the matter with his/her high school counselor.  The high school will complete a CBC drop form with their signature and the student’s signature then it is submitted to the Office of Dual Enrollment for processing. Students should follow up on their drop by checking their Campus Connect account. Students will receive a “W” until after the date as published in the academic calendar. A “W” has no academic consequence.        
    Is there a difference between a dual enrollment course and a non-dual enrollment course at CBC?        
    No. Dual Enrollment courses are college courses and are held to the same standards as a non-dual enrollment course. The rigor is present in ALL courses taught through Coastal Bend College no matter the location of the course. High School students must take into consideration the amount of time and effort that is involved in a college-level course before enrolling. The college courses taken by dual enrollment students become part of their permanent college transcript.        
    Will my college credits earned at CBC transfer?        
    Yes. The Texas Core Curriculum: Approved for a public college, university, or health science center, the core curriculum is guaranteed to transfer and to apply to any undergraduate degree. Please refer to pages 59 & 60 in the 2016-2017 CBC Course Catalog. For more information, please visit: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=E9397413-F687-F41A-5792BB463EF92C48.       
    What if I don't agree with the grade I earned at the end of the semester?          
    All grade appeals must be conducted no later than the semester following the award of the grade. For more information on the Appeal process, refer to page 47 in the CBC catalog.